Thursday 21 October 2010

Impression of Embroidery





Having illustrated the faces from the images I had, I translated them into a simply stitched embroidered pieces on calico.
I deliberately made the lines chunky and of various widths to experiment with how this would translate into clay.
I tested this on thickly rolled stoneware clay slab tiles. Although this is far from what I would like my end result to be.
I really like the thinner lines on the face of my Grandmother Jessie. This was achieved with a single embroidery thread, whereas the chunkier line on my Grandfather's face was made with double thickness embroidery thread.

This is all so bizarre, I'm working with these people's faces, depicting their characteristics and yet I've never met them. It's a concept that is slightly uncomfortable, but I'm still subconsciously choosing to work with the faces of the strangers rather than the members of the family that I know.

Anyway, here's what the impressions look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment