Wednesday 6 October 2010

New Project

I've had a meeting with my new tutor Claire today. I think it's going to be a good year.
She asked me what I'm about, and it made me really look at myself, my work and my influences.

I've come to the conclusion, that without realising it, over the last few years I've been obsessing about the family I never knew.
I guess looking at all my textiles and to some extent my ceramic work, I've always based it on the Ward side of the family and the the friendly faces I never got to meet.
My textiles work concentrates on the narratives of conversation and tradition, the everyday routines and the household objects associated with them.

It's all pretty idealistic, I've never met these people!


So this year i'm going to find out about my family. I'm not going to make a family tree or anything traditional and obvious. I'm going to talk to the people who know, the few who do remember, and discover the facts, photographs, snippets of memory and personality traits of my family. Before it's too late.

The grand plan? Well I hope to be inspired to make a piece of work which in some way fills in the gaps. Represents what I know, and pieces together the bits that I don't.

Let's hope i don't unearth anything hideous.
I'll keep you updated.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment